Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Information literacy and how my views are changing

When I first started this course I was lucky enough to be job sharing with a brilliant librarian who has posters of the NSW DET information literacy skills steps hanging all over the library. We also constantly refer to the steps when teaching stage 2 and stage 3 library lessons.
It was with this excellent background knowledge that I went into this subject thinking I knew it all and how hard could it be after all???
Oh how I was deceived. I felt really smug completing my first assignment. As I read the entries on the forum I was thinking 'are these people really THAT dumb??' Now as I reflect I realise I am the dumb one as I read more and more literature about IL I realise that there are so many choices.
As I read James' entry on the forum today he said that IL is a complex concept and practice. Up until then I had thought it pretty straight forward....ooops.
He also said that we should accept the views of others. Maybe I had already reached that stage or maybe I need to be like my 15 year old son and question everything.
Whatever is the correct way I am becoming more and more confused as I continue on this learning path.
I thought I was supposed to have a light bulb moment when everything became clear. The problem is everything was clear and now the light bulb has shattered as I try and get my head around the increasing amount of information that I am required to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment