Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Developing powerful instructional collaborations does not happen by chance

Todd, R. J. (2008). The dynamics of classroom teacher and teacher librarian instructional collaborations. Scan, 27(2), 19-28.

This article caused me to reflect on my role as a TL in my school in relation to collaboration.
I found the research to be informative and the findings could be related to just about any school library in NSW.
I also felt that I wasn't alone as I read the responses of the teacher librarians and found myself falling into the same responses as the majority each time.
It said that the most common difficulties centred around lack of time, and scheduling issues. That could have been me responding to that question.
I found the conclusion of the article to be informative when it said that there were two major keys to a successful collaboration:1. plan and prepare well. 2. also allow for flexibility and adjustment along the way.

While most people see collaboration as a way to cover twice the amount of work in half the time this is not realistic.

Powerful instructional collaborations require depth of commitment, intense engagement with the mechanics of pedagogy, clarity of goals in terms of student learning outcomes, strategic time management, and organisational skills. It does not happen by chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment