Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Big Six

Wolf, S. (2003). The Big Six information skills as a metacognitive scaffold: A case study.

This case study was interesting in that it supported a lot of views expressed by different authors in relation to scaffolding etc.
I learnt that Metacognition can be described as thinking about thinking........something I don't do a whole lot of.
Scaffolding can also be defined as a support structure for learners engaged in activities just beyond their independent abilities.
I was also informed that studies had shown information seeking behaviours yield more positive results when the students performing them possess strong metacognitive skills. Something that I need to aim for when teaching students, and also to aim for with my own 3 children.
The results suggested that Big6 might act as a metacognitive scaffold for students who are asked to complete unfamiliar tasks involving complex content.
I'm sure that this article will be very beneficial for my next assignment, I know it would have been great for the first one if I had already read it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment