Monday, May 24, 2010

ETL401 Part C - Critical synthesis

Part C
Critical synthesis & reflections of TL role
810words

I have now discovered that my initial reasons for wanting to become a teacher librarian were not the most honourable (Drury, 2010). I initially thought that it was an easy job where you had an assistant who did all of the hard work for you and you had lots of free time to prepare and tidy the library because after all as a teacher librarian you just read books to children, let them borrow and kept the library shelves neat and tidy. Since the beginning of this course and taking up a job share position in a library I realise how misguided I was.

Since reading the Professional Teacher librarian Standards (ASLA/ALIA, 2004) I have learnt that there is more to being a teacher librarian than I first thought. Reading the comments of other students I was heartened to discover that they were also on a similar pattern of learning (Noble, 2010). The standards also demonstrated to me that we are part of a professional group who have excellent skills and knowledge instead of just being on our own as I commented on my blog post (Drury, 2010). Completing the second part of assignment two in ETL401 proved to be a turning point in my views of being a teacher librarian. What started out as a compulsory exercise that I was required to complete in order to successfully finish this subject rapidly turned into an exciting adventure of learning where I gave the standards more than just a passing glance. I discovered that they are all encompassing and while they looked impossible to achieve when I first read them they have now become a set of standards to help my professional development in an effort to enhance the quality of education that I provide for the students at my school.

Information literacy skills was a skill I thought I knew all about (Drury, 2010) but I quickly learned that there are more than one set of definitions, more than one set of frameworks and everyone has a slightly different variation (Kuhlthau, 2004, Eisenberg and Berkowitz Big6, 2001, NSW Information Process, 2007). It was exciting that the more I read about information literacy the more I began to realise that I could have a positive effect on the development of strategies that would enable my students to become life long learners.

My eyes were opened as I read about collaboration and the positive impact that it has on students (Haycock, 2007). I also found it to be a bit of relief when I read the article written by (Todd, 2008) because as I commented on the forum (Drury, 2010) collaborative schools are selectively collaborative and not necessarily the most creative. I also commented on this on my blog (Drury, 2010) that I enjoyed a light bulb moment when I read that just because you collaboratively teach you don't necessarily get through double the work (Todd, 2008). This had always been my impression of collaborative partnerships so it was good to gain a better insight into collaborative teaching. I was also challenged when I read (Gilman, 2007) and it was suggested that a great way to encourage a collaborative attitude would be to set up library wide wikis. As a direct result I have set up several library blogs each one catering to a specific group. I have created blogs for staff, general library, stage 2, stage 3, Premier's reading challenge and library monitors. The feedback has been amazing as everyone feels free to contribute and add their comments. If it wasn't for this article and indeed this course I don't think I would have taken the step to create these blogs in an effort to create a collaborative atmosphere. My other light bulb moment occurred when I read that collaborative teaching affects student academic achievement for the better (Montiel-Overall, 2005 & Haycock, 2007).

Throughout this course I have gone through many highs and lows as I have grappled with the new information presented to me. It has given me a new sense of purpose as I endeavor to be the best teacher librarian I can. As I try to develop not only a love of literature in my students but so much more including information literacy skills to equip them for life long learning. As I also try to encourage a collaborative environment within my school and endeavour to raise the profile of the teacher librarian role so that it includes leadership responsibilities within the school and as I build up networks within the school and from outside the school to turn this into a reality.

I have come a long way since the days of playing pretend libraries in my bedroom, or being asked to resign as a library monitor in 6th class (Drury,2010), but strangely I feel like I am just beginning this extraordinary journey of learning how to be an excellent teacher librarian. Thankfully there are lots of resources out there to aid in my development. Resources that include the excellent set of standards (ASLA/ALIA, 2004) to work towards and many support networks that help to find solutions to problems that I may encounter.

References

Australian School Library Association (ASLA) and Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). (2004). Library standards of professional excellence for teacher librarians. Retrieved from http://www.asla.org/policy/standards.htm

Drury, C. (2010, March 20) Standards of professional excellence for TL'S. Posted to http://cathyslibraryskillsprogress.blogspot.com

Drury, C. (2010, April 19). Thoughts on Todd article. Message posted to ETL401 module 5 sub-forum.

Drury, C. (2010April 20). Developing powerful instructional collaborations does not happen by chance. Posted to http://cathyslibraryskillsporgress.blogspot.com

Drury, C. (2010, April 27). Information literacy and how my views are changing. Posted to http:cathyslibraryskillsprogress.blogspot.com

Drury, C. (2010, May11). My inspiration to be a teacher librarian. Posted to http://cathyslibraryskillsprogress.blogspot.com

Eisenberg,M & Berkwitz, B. (2001). A Big6 skills overview. Retrieved from http://www.big6.com/2001/11/19/a-big%E2%84%A2-skills-overview

Gilman, T. (2007, May23). The Four Habits of Highly Effective Librarians The Chronicle of Higher Education. Retrieved from http://chronicle.com/article/The-Four-Habits-of-Highly-E/46544

Haycock, K. (2007). Collaboration: Critical success factors for student learning. School Libraries Worldwide, 13(1), pp25-35.

Kuhlthau, CC. (2004). Seeking Meaning: A Process Approach to Library and Information Services, 2nd ed. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

Montiel-Overall, P. (2005). A Theoretical Understanding of Teacher and Librarian Collaboration, School Libraries Worldwide, 11(2), 24-48.

Noble, J. (2010, March10). Thoughts on standards. Message posted to ETL401 module 2 sub-forum.

New South Wales Department of Education and Training. (2007). Information skills in the school: engaging learners in constructing knowledge. Retrieved from http://www.curriculumsupport.education.nsw.gov.au/schoollibraries/teachingideas/isp/docs/infoskills.pdf

Todd, R.J. (2008). The dynamics of classroom teacher and teacher librarian instructional collaborations. Scan, 27(2), 19-28.




1 comment: