Monday, April 11, 2011

Teaching about and with social media - module 4.

14 Ways K–12 Librarians Can Teach Social Media, in Tech & Learning by Joyce Valenza (27 September, 2009)

Reading this article proved to be very beneficial as Valenza included many excellent websites and links that are useful to me in my role as a teacher librarian.

I love her saying "Google rocks but it's not the only band in town".

 

Working the social: Twitter and FriendFeed - Let these social networking services do the filtering for you in Library Journal by Laura Carscaddon & Colleen S. Harris (15 June 2009)

This second article demonstrates how you can use twitter and FriendFeed to support professional learning.
I found this article informative as I had never heard of FriendFeed.

At the end of the article we were given 20 suggestions for ways to use twitter in your role as a librarian. Very helpful considering I was at a loss to find value in twitter. This has changed my view of twitter slightly as I can now see some benefit for using it.


The impact and benefits of Learning 2.0 programs in Australian libraries project, and Dr Michael Stephens, Richard Sayers & Warren Cheetham's VALA 2010 Conference paper which evaluated the implementation of Learning 2.0 programs in Australian libraries.

While I can understand why this article has been included in our readings I found it irrelevant to my interests at the moment. it was a study conducted in Australian libraries. 
at the moment I am also studying EER500 about educational research. From the perspective of having to write a research paper I found it interesting as it demonstrated the way a paper should be set out. Apart from this aspect I found it quite useless.


At the end of this unit of work I was disappointed to see some wiki's etc that we were to view didn't link properly. Such a pity as it would have been good to see what other people are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment