Saturday, April 9, 2011

Module 4 continued

We were asked to read two blog entries by Anna Laura Brown. They were the top 10 social networking tools and trends for libraries in 2009 and 2010.
After reading these I went on to read more blog posts that she had written and discovered one about trends in 2011.
They included:
  1. Mobile applications.
  2. QR codes. I don't know what these are so hopefully someone will enlighten me.
  3. Google applications.
  4. Twitter.
  5. Virtual reference.
  6. Increased collaboration between libraries and more that one institution.
  7. Teaching social media classes.
  8. Using Social media as a teaching tool.
All very interesting points. I will enjoy revisiting this list at the end of the year to see how accurate her predictions were.

Looking back at the 2009 and 2010 posts, in my modules it asks:
  1. Which of these tools and trends has already impacted on your library or organisation?
  2. Which of these tools and trends have been discussed by people within your library or organisation as having potential in supporting its goals?
  3. Which of these tools and trends have not yet hit your library or organizations radar?
My responses are easy as none of them have impacted on my library. None of them have been discussed in my library. None of these trends have come anywhere near the radar of my library.

After reading these blog posts I think that the school library is a bit unique in that the students at my primary school aren't old enough to have facebook accounts or any other social media accounts.
It has made me think that we do need to find other ways to embrace the social media trend at school though.

Definitely food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment