Sunday, April 10, 2011

Libraries and Information Professional in 3D Worlds - Module 4

We were asked to read 3 articles about 3D virtual worlds. I only read the first 2 because I was unable to find the third article by the link.

Second Life: A Virtual World Why Are Librarians There?, in First Monday, 13(8) by Ilene Frank (4 August, 2008)

I am not overly impressed by Second life as I was unable to use it properly when I tried earlier on in the course.
This is an area that I have absolutely no interest in and can see no benefit in participating in.
This was a lengthy article to read and it was made all the more difficult as I really have no interest in it.

I was interested to see that Club Penguin is classified as a 3D virtual world. This is a site that my children love using, I guess I had never thought of it in the same light as second life.
Overall this article just seemed like a massive promotion for Second life and I could not be less interested.

Boulos, M. N. K., Hetherington, L., & Wheeler, S. (2007). Second Life: An overview of the potential of 3-D virtual worlds in medical and health education. Health Information & Libraries Journal, 24(4), 233-245. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.csu.edu.au/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=27477118&site=ehost-live

This article explained that Second life is the most popular virtual world in use today.
The popularity of the site could be due to its advanced technology.


This article suggests that virtual worlds are a major part of the future of the Web.


Again, I think that this is just a very good promotion of Second life.



No comments:

Post a Comment