Friday, April 1, 2011

Online Journal Activity- RSS feed

Below is the task that was set for us about RSS feed in module 2, this is followed by my response for this activity.
  
Now that you have explored some examples of how libraries and the media make use of RSS to deliver updated information and the applications that can tailor and aggregate feeds for specific users, find two (2) additional examples of 'RSS in action', and develop a 350 word post to your OLJ on how RSS can enhance a library or information service’s ability to meet the information needs of its users.

After looking at the RSS feed symbol on many websites and not knowing what it was for I have embraced this tool wholeheartedly. I subscribed to the two feeds as required for this activity as well as subscribing to live feeds from a number of other sites. They have been chosen because they interest me personally as well as professionally. They give me the headline version of events so that I can look into it further if I am interested.
As the State Library of NSW confirms (2011) RSS feed enables you to collect up to date information from all of your favourite websites without having to visit each one individually. As a result it is efficient and a massive time saver and therefore a useful tool for the busy librarian who in the past has had to read a mountain of publications to remain up to date.

The term Really Simple Syndication is very appropriate as even someone like myself who is not an expert in this field is able to embrace this form of web2.0 technology. 

The first feed to be discussed is the State Library of NSW RSS feed. The feed I chose was the new titles added to the catalogue. This library has a variety of feeds to choose from, but I am finding this one the most beneficial as it has kept me up to date on the new publications available. Working in a primary school library you often rely on word of mouth and information given by booksellers when it comes to purchasing books. I have found this beneficial as it puts me a step ahead by making me aware of the new titles available so that I can ask the book sellers for the books on approval.

The second feed I subscribed to was the ALIA homepage. It has been beneficial in keeping me up to date with the latest library news that I may not have been aware. Recently it focused on the National Simultaneous story time by releasing the title of the book to be used. As my school likes to participate in this event it has enabled me to purchase the book ahead of time.

References:
Australian Library and Information Association. (2011). Homepage. Retrieved from http://www.alia.org.au/
State Library of New South Wales. (2011). About RSS feeds. Retrieved from http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/rss/about_RSS.html
State Library of New South Wales. (2011). New Titles added to the collection of the State library of New South Wales. Retrieved from http://feeds.feedburner.com/cataloguenewtitlesslnsw








No comments:

Post a Comment