Sunday, April 3, 2011

Module 3. What is library 2.0?

Kids sport is a wonderful opportunity to catch up on some reading. With this in mind I printed off some readings from this module and took it to my sons soccer game where I proceeded to sit in the car out of the wind and read before his game started and I had to venture out onto the sideline to show my support. Unfortunately he lost 5-0.

Miller, P. (2005). Web 2.0: Building the new library, Ariadne, 45, 30 October. Retrieved from http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue45/miller

This was the first article I read. I found it really interesting as it listed all of the features of web 2.0 and how they can be applied to the library. Of course most of these things would be related to the local public library, but I could see the usefulness in the school library as well.

His conclusion was quite good though when he said "Web 2.0 is participative. For libraries and associated organisations though, there is equal scope for participation. We need to work together." Very intuitive I thought.

Casey, M. & Savastinuk, L. (2006). Library 2.0: Service for the next-generation library, Library Journal, 1 September. Retrieved from http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6365200.html

This article was amazing and one that I plan to use when writing up my report to assignment 1. The project I am doing is a library blog at my school. I have started it and I am already finding it a challenge to involve all of the students. Currently it seems like the same few children are responding. I have no way of knowing the numbers of students reading the blog, only the numbers that are responding. Anyway.... this article is brilliant. It discusses how Web2.0 is revitalizing the way we interact and serve our customers, how the library users can participate more in the services offered by the library...and the list goes on.
This article also acknowledges that all libraries have a different starting point. In the case of my library we are at the very beginning.




No comments:

Post a Comment