Friday, August 7, 2009

That sinking feeling

Well I survived my first week at work, but today I am exhausted and feeling just a little bit overwhelmed about our first group assignment. I really have no clue what to do and just seem to be getting more and more confused.
anyway back to what I have learned through my readings so far.
READING 4- Collaborative decision making with teams. By Hough and Paine.
I really enjoyed this reading and was able to recognise the different forms of decision making that had been made in all of the schools I have worked in.
although it was said that the autocratic style of decision making would be difficult to find in schools I can sadly say that I worked in a private school that operated in just this way.Indeed it was a difficult system to work in.
I do agree though that most schools work according to Bureaucratic model.
Although some schools appear to use the consultative method the sad fact is that many principals have their own agenda and only 'pretend' to consult with the school community and ultimately make the decision that they had originally wanted to make before the consultative process began.
I found it interesting that research has shown that the way a school is run will be reflected in the running of the classroom. An interesting point I have often commented on, but is nice that Hough and Paine have also stated this.
The Development of teams
A team is a group of people working together to achieve a common goal or output.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy I too am concerned about the group assignment ! I think somehow it will all work out. I love your comments from that reading, I totally am on the same page!!! Schools in NSW can be so bureaucratic. The principal no matter how much they work well & collaborate with staff & key stakeholders, they still have to work within that bureacratic framework. Especially in terms of funding & access to resources. Where I work at the moment there is a fantastic principal who encourages teams to form & work together.

    ReplyDelete