Sunday, March 20, 2011

Skype

Skype is known as VoIP which is Voice over internet protocol.
I was introduced to Skype in my first subject at CSU. I immediately fell in love with it, as did my husband as I was able to use it instead of the telephone to complete a group assignment. Of course this system is not perfect and it used to drop out just when you needed it the most. But as the saying goes, you get what you pay for....and as it is free I guess you have to put up with all of the problems associated with it.
After travelling to Europe my daughter has managed to stay in contact with a friend in Canada that she met in Italy. It is fantastic, although there are lots of pauses while they wait for the next person to have their turn. We have also introduced my mother to this method of communication and she now uses it to talk to her brother as he flies all over the world for work. 
On Christmas day we used it to talk with my brother who was in New Zealand. I wish we had this technology when my dad was alive and my children were little so that they could have talked to him and he could have seen them growing up as he and my mother lived a considerable distance from my house and only saw their grandchildren a few times a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment