Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The beginning of a new semester- INF506 assessment 1

What is Social Networking?

I really have no idea so I guess this is a great place to start for this subject.
I guess I would define social networking as being a method to stay in contact with friends, groups or organisations. As the name implies it is a fairly social activity done online.
I am a huge fan of networking whenever I go to an event because you never know when a person you have met may be helpful to you, so I guess that social networking can be used in the same way, just online instead of in person.
It is also a relative new concept and is growing in popularity is the web2.0 era of communication.
I found this cute diagram to help explain what social networking is and so I thought I would include it.


Social technology I already use
I use a blog for the purposes of my study because it is a course requirement.
I had to create a pathfinder on a wiki for a subject but I haven't used a wiki since.
I have used Youtube a few times if the kids tell me about a funny clip.
I don't have a facebook account.
I don't have a twitter account.

Actually, looking at this I really am not up to date in the technology age of social networking at all.

What I expect to learn in this subject

I will be happy to learn how to use facebook and know a bit more about all of the other social networking sites.
I would love to gain in confidence and knowledge when using these tools and develop ways to implement this in my teaching because there is huge pressure in the workplace to be on top of all of this technology.
As I know absolutely nothing anything I gain from this course will be a huge step forward.




No comments:

Post a Comment