Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Module 3

So far I am keeping up to date with this subject according to the outline, although after a busy weekend of kids sport and yesterday having to attend my daughters zone athletics carnival for the day I am feeling a bit of pressure to get through all of this before I have to pick up my son at 2pm for a dental appointment, do the washing, do the grocery shopping etc.
Anyway here goes....

3 definitions of metadata
(as suggested by Lisa Harris on the ETL505 forum.....thankyou Lisa)
  1. metadata is structured data which describes the characteristics of a resource.
  2. metadata is structured information that is created specifically to describe another resource.
  3. metadata maybe described as ‘data about data’ . A metadata record consists of a set of elements which describe different parts of a resource.
common elements: metadata is structured; metadata describes resources; metadata is data; metadata contains common elements.

1 comment: