Sunday, March 7, 2010

2 1/2 billion seconds!

Today at church I learnt that we only live for approximately two and a half billion seconds, so I'm not going to waste one of those seconds. I'm going to get stuck into all of my readings and get on top of this course.

Looking over the final assignment I don't want to get caught the way I did last year and not have a proper starting point to reflect back on.
Having already completed 2 subjects,(1 more successful than the other)I have a much better idea of the role of a teacher librarian.
When I first started I thought the role entailed reading stories to children, scanning their books as they borrowed them and getting heaps of release time to do all of that library admin. I now know that it is soooo much more, and the more I learn the more incapable I feel.
As a TL I have a responsibility to stay informed about the latest resources that may be of some help to my students and colleagues. These resources include both written and electronic. I also need to be able to critically evaluate them and not merely describe them. One of the major things I feel that I can contribute to a school is to teach students information literacy skills so that they will be life long learners and not just completing assignments for the sake of them.
I also want to create a love of reading in my students by constantly sourcing my library with up to date books and culling the older books that have many pages falling out.
The role of a TL is constantly changing as technology is also changing.
Hopefully at the end of the semester when I complete my second assignment this information will be of some use to me, but it will also be interesting if I change my views in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment