Thursday, July 23, 2009

Things that I know.....or don't know!

Well here I am doing my second post and as they say on reality television I am on an amazing journey of discovery.
As part of ETL504 I have been asked to write down the things that I already know about a number of subjects. As my knowledge is fairly limited this shouldn't take long, and as 'Master Chef' is now over I can devote myself totally to the study of this subject as I appear to have suddenly gained extra time in my day!
So far in this course I have managed to learn how to request books and photocopies successfully from the CSU library. However, in my haste to get myself organised I obtained copies of all of our compulsary readings, an exercise that took me 2 hours and 3 phone calls to the library only to discover the next day that the college actually posted out a book with all of the readings in it...How dumb did I feel. Oh well I now know how the library works.
Also in an effort to be organised I also printed off the subject outlines and put them into my nice new folders that I purchased (colour coded for each subject) only to also discover that the uni sent me out a hard copy of that as well. Oh well if I get through this semester I will know for next time.
I have also learnt how to contribute to forums. How cool are they? I usually spend lots of time on the telephone, these are a much quicker way of communicating. I love it. Roy gave us some headings to write under so here are mine.

Leadership of Teacher Librarians and their place in the school organisation
My knowledge of this is very limited, but I think that in the school organisation the teacher librarian is way down the pecking order of the school leadership. Demands are made from higher up in regards to purchasing and accessioning books as well as demands from classroom teachers to help them complete the classroom curriculum. The library can also be a bit of a dumping ground for kids that haven't completed their bookwork in the class time to do so in their lunch hour.

Communication
As the librarian in the school there is a need for you to be a good communicater with both staff and children as you appear to be an integral part of the learning cycle in a school. Hopefully clear communication lines are open to ensure collaborative planning with the other staff members.

Organisational Theory
I hope this means the different theories involved in getting a library organised complete with ideas for putting systems into place. Admittedly I know nothing about this, but I really am eager to learn more.

Strategic Planning
I'm fairly sure this means the planning of the library program so that you know ahead of time how you can program in the library to ensure that quality learning takes place.

Well as you can see I know nothing about any of these topics. Actually even less than I thought. I will now go and start on my readings to hopefully improve my knowledge in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment